The course is divided into seven sessions:
- Session 1 – Orientation
- Session 2 – The Structure of Language
- Session 3 – Phonemic Awareness, Explicit Phonics Instruction and Irregular Word Reading
- Session 4 – Multisyllabic Word Reading and Fluency
- Session 5 – Vocabulary
- Session 6 – Comprehension
- Session 7 – Reading Assessment for Effective Instruction
At the end of the course, participants will be able to:
- Articulate the research on the essential components of reading instruction
- Gain clear and explicit models of instruction immediately applicable to the classroom
- Identify the best practices and explicit methods to develop phonemic awareness, phonics and irregular and multisyllabic word knowledge, fluency, vocabulary, comprehension, and literary and informational text knowledge
- Understand the structure of the English and Spanish language system
- Identify and use techniques to support academic language development for English learners
- Understand how to use informal diagnostic measures of phonological awareness, decoding, fluency vocabulary and comprehension as a basis for instructional decisions
Read an evaluation of the Online Elementary Reading Academy.
Read why CORE’s professional learning and reading academies are so effective.
Who should attend
This course is for individuals or teams of elementary educators who want to learn effective standards-aligned and scientifically research-based reading practices for all learners. Participants are expected to have regular access to computers with an Internet connection and proficiency with email and current Internet browsers.
- Reading specialists
- Principals/assistant principals
- Reading instructional coaches
- Pre-service teachers or classes
$500 per participant. Fees include the acclaimed Teaching Reading Sourcebook and Assessing Reading: Multiple Measures textbooks and all other materials.
Class section minimum of 12, not to exceed 30.
For groups of 12 or more:
Discounts are available for groups of 12 or more. You may register up to 75 people online. If you wish to register more than 75 people, please contact email@example.com or call (510) 540-4200 ext. 4.
1-11 people: $500/pp
12-25 people: $480/pp
26-75 people: $455/pp
76+: Please call for special pricing
If you would like to host your own district-specific cohort, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call (510) 540-4200 ext. 4. With a custom cohort, you will choose your own dates and the length of the course. You will also receive a dedicated instructor and have the option to customize the content to your team’s specific needs.
College credit option:
College Credit Option 1: Participants may receive three (3) graduate level semester extension units for an additional cost of $285. These units are typically used for salary advancement. There are no additional requirements beyond successful completion of the course for a total of 45 hours.
College Credit Option 2: Participants may receive three (3) graduate credits for an additional cost of $650.00. These units are typically used towards a graduate degree. Requirements include successful completion of the course and completion of additional assignments for a total of 135 hours.
Contact email@example.com for more information – Subject Line – OERA College Credit
A full refund of registration fees is available if cancelled 30 days or more prior to the course start date. A 50% refund available if less than 30 days but more than 14 days prior to course start date.
Call 510-540-4200 ext. 4 to cancel a registration 14 or more days prior to course start date.
No refunds are available 13 days or less prior to course start date or anytime on or after course start date.