Multi-Tiered Systems of Support
Every student’s learning experience is different, and not all learn in the same way or at the same pace. Multi-tiered systems of support (MTSS) offer a framework in which high quality instruction and interventions are matched to the needs of each student. Whether they are struggling or have advanced learning needs, MTSS is designed to improve academic, behavioral and social-emotional outcomes for all students.
This three-day institute is designed to support school leadership teams to implement MTSS as a coordinated PreK–12 system of academic and behavior support designed to ensure that all students get off to a healthy start (prevention) and facilitate early and appropriately intensive evidence-based intervention(s) for students at risk. This package focuses on academics within MTSS. Beginning with key yet compact background knowledge that differentiates MTSS from Response to Intervention (RtI), including 10 of the most important lessons learned in decades of school-based implementation, the MTSS Institute systematically details the following:
- The key roles of school leaders, including principals and teachers.
- Which school-based teams perform which roles and functions.
- Comprehensive and proactive design of coordinated reading and language arts and mathematics evidence based instruction and interventions across tiers of increasing intensity, including strategies to increase intensity.
- The use of scientifically sound measures for universal screening to identify students at risk.
- The use of scientifically sound measures for more frequent progress monitoring for students in interventions to determine efficacy of the intervention and any changes that might be needed.
- Processes for determining whether students qualify for special education due to a specific learning disability, and the creation of more appropriately specific and rigorous individualized education program (IEP) goals.
- A process to determine MTSS readiness and a way to evaluate fidelity of implementation.
The MTSS Institute includes selected key readings, opinions of implementation status, and tools to evaluate fidelity of implementation. Download our information sheet to learn more.
Audience: District and site leadership teams, including special education leadership
Format: Three days, consecutive or separate, depending on the situation; held on-site at your district
Materials: Participant Resource Guide; CORE’s Teaching Reading Sourcebook; CORE’s Assessing Reading: Multiple Measures; Internet access will be necessary
Many special education teachers do not have specific training in teaching reading and math. Until they do, the gap between general education and special education students will remain. CORE works with special education teachers and paraprofessionals to build their instructional skills so that they have the same expertise in evidence-based math practices as general education teachers.
Our on-site, job-embedded professional learning provides:
- Personalized training in the science of how to teach math and reading, particularly to students with learning difficulties, including dyslexia
- Instruction on integrating high-leverage practices (HLPs) into instruction
- Assistance identifying and implementing evidence-based curricula, appropriate materials and assessments
- Coaching, including modeling lessons, analyzing data, reviewing IEPs, and setting goals for robust student outcomes
- Guidance to establish processes to reduce the over-identification of students in need of special education services and the over-representation of English learners and children of color
Knowledgeable and skillful leadership is critical to ensuring math instructional effectiveness, teacher satisfaction and student achievement.
CORE’s approach to instructional change starts with building leadership skills and institutional capacity. Over multiple site visits, a CORE Instructional Implementation Expert works side by side with site leaders to:
- Share knowledge
- Implement MTSS
- Integrate high-leverage teaching practices
- Facilitate data-study
- Develop plans to ensure ongoing professional learning and sustained academic achievement
- Conduct learning walks to see instruction
Take a Closer Look at CORE’s Professional Learning Services
CORE offers many services and workshops to support the development of your internal capacity to lead and sustain lasting instructional change. Take a look at our services overview to see which offerings align with your current goals and needs. CORE professional learning experts are available to help you assess your needs and develop a personalized professional learning program that will help your school’s educators and students excel.