The poor achievement of special education students is a struggle all too familiar to districts nationwide. Educators are under pressure to maintain high goals for these students, yet limited internal capacity and budgets make it challenging for sustainable change to occur.
CORE’s professional learning services help districts implement evidence-based practices to address:
- Over-identification of special education students and over-representation of ELL and minority students in special education
- Discrepancies between the performance of special education and general education students
- Finding the most effective curricula and assessment to serve special education students in the least restrictive environment
Reduce Special Education Over Identification Through Prevention & Targeted Interventions
Research shows special education students make significant gains when general education is robust. That is why CORE considers prevention as the first line of defense. We start by transforming classroom instruction to reduce the number of students identified as needing additional services and then work with special education teachers on evidence-based instruction to remediate children with disabilities and to prevent learning difficulties from becoming entrenched.
CORE works with your entire school community from the district administrator to classroom and special education teachers to develop knowledge and skills to teach all students to a higher level.
Districtwide Systems Audits
Analysis of your school or district’s general and special education program.
- A thorough review, including classroom visits, focus groups, surveys, and data collection culminating in actionable recommendations that you can implement right away.
- Collaboration with your team to determine next steps for improving instruction and academic achievement.
Multi-Tiered Systems of Support (MTSS) Training and Implementation
Establish MTSS and screening processes to identify students with disabilities.
- Implement data-based decision making using real samples of student data to help teachers create a personalized and effective plan.
- Target setting to determine the effectiveness of interventions.
- Establish tiered interventions to meet the needs of all learners.
Job-Embedded Professional Learning in Instruction, Assessment and Ongoing Implementation Support
Use best practices, evidence-based curricula and the most reliable assessments for prek-12 literacy and math for special education and general education teachers together.
- Targeted English Language Development Institute for teachers of English learners and strategies to support English learners in content classes.
- Critical reading and math instruction for prevention and intervention.
- Selection and implementation of the strongest instructional programs.
- Classroom modeling, coaching and program practice.
- Data study for improving student outcomes.
Make Special Ed Focused and Effective
CORE’s Special Education Experts will work with your team in a variety of ways to help you achieve equity of special education students.
- Implementing specialized intensive instruction and program implementation for dyslexia.
- Identification of evidence-based instructional materials and most appropriate screening and progress monitoring assessments to help schools select the best prevention and intervention materials.
- IEP review and goal setting in line with the 2017 Supreme Court Ruling on Endrew F. v. Douglas County School District RE-1 maintaining equitable and robust targets of achievement.
- Classroom lesson modeling and coaching.
- Review of student test data and effectiveness of interventions.
- Facilitation of collaboration between and among special education and general education staff.
Ensure your district is meeting the needs of all students and providing teachers with the support they need to do so.