13 Free Resources to Support Math Learning At Home
The CORE Mathematics team has put together this list of free resources — covering lessons and activities, building fluency and number sense, and assessments — to support remote math instruction. Even once classrooms open again, these will continue to be go-to resources to enhance your lessons.
Lessons and Activities
- Mathematics Assessment Project (MARS Tasks): The Mathematics Assessment Project provides lessons and tasks to engage students in applying math knowledge through problem-solving and reasoning at the middle and high school levels.
- EngageNY: EngageNY provides a full K-12 curriculum for math and ELA including lessons, activities, practice, and how-to videos.
- The Math Learning Center: The Math Learning Center provides free tools, applications, and lessons for K-5 math.
- National Council of Teachers of Mathematics (NCTM): NCTM provides a variety of free resources for teaching math online, including free webinars for teachers, applications, and student activities.
- Math Solutions: Math Solutions provides sets of math lessons with engaging activities for grades K-8.
- Edulastic Distance Learning: Edulastic has developed a new eLearning hub that provides resources for lessons and assessments with tips and resources for teachers and students. Edulastic includes content for ELA, Math, Science and Social Studies.
- Which One Doesn’t Belong: This website provides a variety of thought-provoking puzzles in which players look at four images or numbers and decide which of the four does not belong in the group.
Building Fluency and Number Sense
- KenKen Puzzles: Number puzzles that provides fun practice that requires reasoning and problem-solving with elementary school practice with addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division.
- Make 24 at 4Nums.com: The application randomly draws 4 cards from a standard deck of cards must use the values shown on the four cards and the operations of addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division to create an outcome of 24.
- Sumaze: Sumaze is an application for Apple and Android devices in which players work through a mazes developing number sense and other skills through problem-solving and mathematical reasoning. Activities are provided for both elementary and secondary levels.
- ArcAdemics: Arcademics are fun video games focused on repetition to build automaticity and fluency with number facts at the grade s 1-6 level.
- Smarter Balanced Assessment Consortium (SBAC) Practice Tests and Sample Questions: SBAC provides practice tests and sample items for English language arts and math tests to learn how many state tests work, what’s expected of students and what kinds of questions are included on state tests.
- PARCC Release Items from 2018: The Albuquerque Public Schools website provides links to all ELA and Math assessment release items from 2018 for the PARCC test.