Online Elementary Reading Academy
January 23, 2020 - April 1, 2020
12:00 am - 10:00 am
Select the number of people you would like to register using the dropdown menus above. Then, click the blue “Register” button to the right of the dropdown boxes to enter the attendee information.
About the Course:
This asynchronous 10-week online course provides participants with fundamental knowledge in effective standards-aligned and research-based reading and assessment practices for all learners. Participants form an intellectual community as they reflect on the course content, including readings from research and from CORE’s Teaching Reading Sourcebook and Assessing Reading: Multiple Measures. The highly engaging sessions, completed on your own time during the course dates, include video models, narrated screencasts, interactive activities, simulations, weekly notebook work, reflections, self- checks, and online discussion forums.
- Learn on your own time and at your own pace within the course schedule.
- Practice responding to simulations that will help you address real time classroom challenges.
- Have time to delve deeply into the nationally acclaimed Teaching Reading Sourcebook and each component of reading instruction.
- Connect to educators throughout the country to share, collaborate and reflect.
- Interact with your personal expert instructor to answer your questions and address your reading needs.
Participants will be able to:
- Articulate the research on the essential components of reading instruction
- Gain clear and explicit models of instruction immediately applicable to the classroom
- Identify the best practices and explicit methods to develop phonemic awareness, phonics and irregular and multisyllabic word knowledge, fluency, vocabulary, comprehension, and literary and informational text knowledge
- Understand the structure of the English and Spanish language system
- Identify and use techniques to support academic language development for English learners
- Understand how to use informal diagnostic measures of phonological awareness, decoding, fluency vocabulary and comprehension as a basis for instructional decisions
This course is for individuals or teams of elementary educators who want to learn effective standards-aligned and scientifically research-based reading practices for all learners. Participants are expected to have regular access to computers with an Internet connection and proficiency with email and current Internet browsers.
- Reading instructional coaches
- Pre-service teachers or classes
Cost: $500 per participant – includes course fees and required course materials
College Credit Option:
College Credit Option 1: Participants may receive three (3) graduate level semester extension units for an additional cost of $285. These units are typically used for salary advancement. There are no additional requirements beyond successful completion of the course for a total of 45 hours.
College Credit Option 2: Participants may receive three (3) graduate credits for an additional cost of $575.00. These units are typically used towards a graduate degree. Requirements include successful completion of the course and completion of additional assignments for a total of 135 hours.
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information – Subject Line – OERA College Credit
For groups of 12 or more:
Discounts are available for groups of 12 or more. You may register up to 75 people online. If you wish to register more than 75 people, please contact email@example.com or call (510) 540-4200 ext. 4.
1-11 people: $500/pp
12-25 people: $480/pp
26-75 people: $455/pp
76+: Please call for special pricing
If you would like to host your own district-specific cohort, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call (510) 540-4200 ext. 4. With a custom cohort, you will choose your own dates and the length of the course. You will also receive a dedicated instructor and have the option to customize the content to your team’s specific needs.
A full refund of registration fees is available if cancelled 30 days or more prior to the course start date. A 50% refund available if less than 30 days but more than 14 days prior to course start date.
Call 510-540-4200 ext. 4 to cancel a registration 14 or more days prior to course start date.
No refunds are available 13 days or less prior to course start date or anytime on or after course start date.