CORE Sourcebook Package*
CORE developed this series of literacy guidebooks to give educators practical help on the "art" and the "science" of reading education. The Sourcebook Package includes the Teaching Reading Sourcebook, Updated 2nd Edition and Assessing Reading: Multiple Measures, 2nd Edition.
* Teaching Reading Sourcebook, 2nd Edition and Assessing Reading: Multiple Measures, 2nd Edition may also be purchased individually.
Teaching Reading Sourcebook, Updated 2nd Edition
The Teaching Reading Sourcebook, Updated 2nd Edition is a comprehensive reference about reading instruction. Organized according to the elements of explicit instruction (what? why? when? and how?), the Sourcebook includes both a research-informed knowledge base and practical sample lesson models. It teaches the key elements of an effective reading program—phonemic awareness, decoding, vocabulary development, fluency, and comprehension—in a practical hands-on teacher’s guide. The new version contains Common Core State Standards information, cross-references, and graphic explanations to identify how best practices in teaching reading align with the standards.
Why You Need the Sourcebook
The Sourcebook helps educators get a clear view of the current state of reading education and key literacy concepts. The teaching tips, intervention strategies, and suggestions for English learners make it a must-have for educators at every level.
New! For college educators using the Sourcebook as a comprehensive textbook, visit the Sourcebook companion website for tools to help you plan instruction.
Included in This Edition
- Updated research, including information related to Response to Intervention (RtI) and Striving Readers
- Revised content on early literacy, with greater emphasis on letter knowledge and new phonemic awareness models connecting sound to print
- Revised content on phonics, high-frequency words, and irregular words, and expanded multisyllabic word instruction with the addition of a Corrective Feedback feature in the sample lesson models
- New, separate section on fluency
- In-depth and revised Vocabulary Development section with greater applicability for content-area teachers
- Revised Comprehension section with emphasis on explicit strategies, monitoring of comprehension, and focused sample lesson models for narrative and informational text, with examples and resources expanded to include struggling adolescent readers
- Comprehensive Reading Program conclusion with a description of the multi-tier model and RtI
- New Common Core information, cross-references, and graphic explanations
Assessing Reading: Multiple Measures, 2nd Edition
Assessing Reading: Multiple Measures, 2nd Edition provides a collection of tests for the comprehensive assessment of skills related to reading. These assessments can help identify why a student is having reading difficulty, determine what the next step in instruction should be to remediate that difficulty, and monitor progress throughout the course of instruction.
The majority of the tests are individually administered. Easy-to-follow instructions are given for the administration and scoring of each test along with reproducible record forms. Interpretation is based on skill mastery and comparison of performance among students in the classroom. Spanish assessments are also included for the early grades, where students may be in bilingual programs.
NOTE: CORE has also newly released Assessing Reading: Multiple Measures, 2nd Edition data entry forms. You can fill in and save these free PDF forms, allowing you to easily access the assessment results electronically.
Why You Need This Resource
For educators who are working to improve the reading achievement of both beginning and older struggling readers, Assessing Reading: Multiple Measures, 2nd Edition is an indispensable resource. It is an essential addition to any educator's personal literacy library—elementary, secondary, university.
What’s New to This Edition
- MASI-R Oral Reading Fluency Measures
- CORE Reading Maze Comprehension Test
- CORE Graded High-Frequency Word Survey
- CORE Vocabulary Screening
For all educators who are working to improve reading achievement, this handbook provides clear instructional approaches for successfully building students' vocabulary knowledge—knowledge essential for strong reading comprehension.
Why You Need This Handbook
With teacher-friendly sample lesson models, this book can be used to boost vocabulary instruction in any reading program. It focuses on the three critical components of exemplary vocabulary instruction: teaching specific words, teaching independent word-learning strategies, and promoting word consciousness.
"CORE has helped my teachers become better in student engagement techniques and instructional reading strategies. As a result, our school continues to make gains in student achievement. We are getting results."
– Carl White, Principal,
Nome Elementary School, AK
"Our school uses the CORE RtI plan. Your Educational Consultant visits with our RtI coach. His thoughts and insights are very refreshing and have helped us to target our second- and third-tier students more effectively."
– Connie Kaltenbach, Principal,
Shannon County School, SD