This three-session course covers the fundamentals of teaching reading in an abbreviated format. It is neither as extensive nor as deep as the CORE Elementary Reading Academy; however, it can serve as a review or a short overview of five critical topics: phonemic awareness, phonics, fluency, vocabulary, and comprehension.
The course addresses the foundational concepts and science of reading regardless of the grade level of participants, covering the early grade basics as well as adolescent literacy and intervention topics. The topics are aligned to Common Core State Standards or your state’s standards.
- Session 1 focuses on phonemic awareness and phonics.
- Session 2 focuses on multisyllabic words and fluency.
- Session 3 focuses on vocabulary and comprehension, with an emphasis on strategies that help students understand either narrative or informational text.
- Understand the basic principles of five critical reading foundational skills.
- Leave with models for developing vocabulary and teaching literature and informational texts.
- See models of instructional lessons.
- Practice specific routines
Audience: Limited to 45 participants, administrators, and teachers
Format: Three sessions
Materials: Teaching Reading Sourcebook; Assessing Reading: Multiple Measures; CORE Blending Routines DVD, Foundational Skills DVD; Participant Resource Guide