Now Hiring: Vice President Business Development
Posted February 7, 2020
We are currently looking for a VP, Business Development with a strong background in growing programs and services in the professional learning sector of the education market. This is a new role focused on growing CORE, and our parent organization, Pivot Learning’s, client base of schools, districts and state education agencies by retaining and growing work with current clients and identifying, cultivating, and establishing high‐value relationships with new clients. Vital functions of this position include client retention and development, partnership development, and marketing leadership. The VP will be a member of the Leadership Team and will support both Pivot and CORE.
This is a full‐time, Exempt position. This role can be based out of Pivot’s Oakland, CA office, or remotely from your home office for candidates outside of the Oakland area. Regular travel to client sites, conferences, and other events will be required.
About the Organization
Pivot Learning is a non‐profit organization whose mission is to partner with educators to design and implement solutions to their greatest challenges in achieving educational justice. We believe that in order to achieve real improvement in student outcomes, we must collaborate with educators to design agile solutions, measure their effectiveness and potential for sustainability and scalability, and deploy them in our nation’s neediest schools. Since 1995, we have partnered with education leaders at all levels and provide them with the knowledge, skills and support proven to strengthen education systems and transform student outcomes.
In 2017 Pivot acquired the Consortium on Reaching Excellence in Education (CORE), who has provided expert technical assistance and professional development for pre‐K‐12 literacy and mathematics programs for over 20 years. Together, CORE and Pivot Learning are committed to improving education for our nation’s most vulnerable students.
Overview of Responsibilities
- Act as a thought‐ and execution‐leader for the CORE and Pivot teams in business development efforts. Co‐develop presentations, co‐design scopes of work, and work collaboratively to build and manage client relationships.
- Work with the leadership teams of both organizations to retain and expand work with current clients, secure new contracts and meet annual revenue targets.
- Using both existing networks and new leads, identify potential clients, and conduct outreach and relationship‐building necessary to secure new contracts.
- Visit and present to potential clients, both in‐person and virtually. Represent and promote CORE and Pivot at conferences, trade shows, and other events.
- Collaborate with CORE and Pivot teams as they design and build new products and services in response to market needs. This includes partnering with content experts from both organizations, external partners, and organizational leadership.
- Manage Pivot and CORE’s marketing strategy including collaborating with external marketing agencies and the internal team. Set strategy and execution tactics, and lead development of external marketing deliverables (e.g. webinars, advertisements, other collateral).
- As part of the organizational leadership team, provide strategic thought partnership and collaboration.
- A deep passion for the mission of Pivot and CORE, and alignment with our values and commitment to educational justice for historically underserved student populations.
- Commitment to CORE’s rigorous, evidence‐based instructional model in English language arts and math so that all students achieve to high levels.
- Demonstrated track record of success generating revenue in the educational services sector, and leading business development strategy and execution. 10+ years of experience in similar roles.
- Deep understanding of school cultures and the challenges faced by our clientele in target markets.
- Demonstrated success working with a professional learning organization. Deep understanding of effective instructional change processes in the context of our typical clients.
- Superior ability to build relationships and deeply understand needs of prospective clients. Innate ability to nurture relationships with diverse groups of people, and to connect their needs with our services.
- Very strong communication and interpersonal skills. Collaborative approach to working with your colleagues, driven by a commitment to partnership and shared goals.
- Experience with content marketing for websites and distribution.
- Experience with budget management and interfacing with external vendors and content developers.
- Able and willing to travel regularly.
- Knowledgeable in Microsoft suite of products and online collaboration resources (e.g. Google suite of products).
Compensation and Benefits
Pivot offers a competitive compensation package, including medical/dental/vision insurance, 401k, vacation leave, sick leave, and 15 paid holidays. Salary is commensurate with experience.
If you would like to apply, please send your resume and a cover letter to email@example.com.
Indicate the position title in the subject line of the email for the fastest consideration. In your cover letter, please comment on how your skills and experience are a good match for this position, your salary requirements, and where you heard about this position.