About the Organization
The Consortium on Reaching Excellence in Education (CORE) provides expert technical assistance and professional development for pre-K-12 literacy and mathematics programs. Our evidence-based model supports the implementation of Common Core State Standards and all other state standards in English Language Arts and Mathematics. We work with educators and administrators at all grade levels, district personnel, and state departments of education to build system-wide capacity for sustained improvement.
About the Position
We are continually looking for new CORE English Language Arts (ELA) Consultants to add to our pool of consultants and who are ready to be assigned to client projects as needed. Expertise in special education and/or supporting instruction for English learners is preferred at this time. Potential consultants must be available a minimum of 20 hours per month, and up to 40 hours per month. Once added to CORE’s consultant pool, projects will be assigned as opportunities are finalized with our clients. Note that this work will not involve a consistent schedule; typical client engagements involve multiple 2 or 3-day trips to the client site, scheduled throughout the school year.
CORE ELA Consultants will provide professional development services in reading and language arts, traveling to client sites to deliver a range of services. CORE’s services may involve providing on-site consultation on effective ELA instruction and program implementation, including but not limited to providing demonstration lessons specific to identified curricula, classroom observations and feedback, side-by-side teaching and coaching, MTSS support, supporting school or district administrators and coaches, and assisting with implementation plans. ELA consultants may also periodically provide PD in a workshop setting using CORE presentation materials.
We are looking for elementary, middle/high school, or K-12 educational contractors with at least 5 years reading/ELA teaching experience in PK-5, 6-12, or K-12. Applicants should also have experience as an ELA coach or instructional leader in a school, district, or region having provided ongoing professional development and coaching in reading/ELA for educators. Expertise in English language development, supporting instruction for English learners and/or special education is preferred.
CORE ELA Consultants must be available to travel to school and district sites nationwide.
- Master’s degree in reading, curriculum or another education-related field. A specialist credential is preferred especially if you are applying to work with grades 6-12.
- At least 5 years of successful ELA teaching experience is required within the grade bands for which you are applying to work.
- Two or more years as an ELA coach/consultant, providing professional learning services to teachers and administrators, across multiple schools within a district or a region.
- Strong foundational knowledge in evidence-based reading/ELA instruction and research on teaching reading/language arts or ELA at the elementary and/or secondary level.
- In-depth knowledge of the Common Core State Standards for English Language Arts and/or other state standards.
- Knowledgeable about effective skills and strategies for diverse learners, special education students, and non-native English speakers.
- Demonstrated ability to conduct and facilitate effective presentations which include responsiveness, flexibility, and the ability to exercise good judgment. Ability to communicate effectively with diverse audiences.
- Demonstrated knowledge of a wide range of programs and publisher materials, including reading intervention programs and reading/ELA assessments, particularly CBM assessments, is preferred.
- Experience in a variety of school settings serving diverse populations is preferred.
- Able and willing to travel, including to remote locations.
- Knowledgeable in Microsoft suite of products and internet resources is a plus.
Compensation & Benefits
CORE ELA Consultants are compensated on a per diem basis for each assignment. This is an independent contractor/1099 role, and no benefits are provided.
If you would like to apply, please submit a letter of interest and resume using the form below.