About the Organization
The Consortium on Reaching Excellence in Education (CORE) provides expert technical assistance and professional development for pre-K-12 literacy and mathematics programs. Our evidence-based model supports the implementation of Common Core State Standards and all other state standards in English Language Arts and Mathematics. We work with educators and administrators at all grade levels, district personnel, and state departments of education to build system-wide capacity for sustained improvement.
About the Position
We are continually looking for new CORE English Language Arts (ELA) Consultants to add to our pool of consultants and who are ready to be assigned to client projects as needed. We currently have a specific need for Consultants located on the East Coast, or able to deliver services on East Coast time if located in other regions. Expertise in special education and/or supporting instruction for English learners is preferred at this time. Potential consultants must be available a minimum of 20 hours per month, and up to 40 hours per month. Once added to CORE’s consultant pool, projects will be assigned as opportunities are finalized with our clients. Note that this work will not involve a consistent schedule; typical client engagements involve multiple 2- or 3-day trips to the client site for in-person delivery, and/or multiple online sessions for remote delivery. Note that due to the COVID pandemic, in-person delivery is currently extremely limited (and is voluntary).
CORE ELA Consultants will provide professional development services in reading and language arts, either traveling to client sites or facilitating remote sessions, to deliver a range of services. CORE’s services involve providing consultation on evidence-based ELA instruction and program implementation, including but not limited to providing demonstration lessons specific to identified curricula, classroom observations and feedback, side-by-side teaching and coaching, MTSS support, supporting school or district administrators and coaches, and assisting with implementation plans. ELA consultants typically also provide PD in a workshop setting (in person or remotely) using CORE presentation materials.
We are looking for elementary, middle/high school, or K-12 educational contractors with at least five years reading/ELA teaching experience in PK-5, 6-12, or K-12. Applicants should also have at least two years’ experience as an ELA coach or instructional leader in a school, district, or region having provided ongoing professional development and coaching in reading/ELA for educators. Expertise in English language development, supporting instruction for English learners and/or special education is preferred.
CORE ELA Consultants must be available to travel to school and district sites nationwide once in-person services resume post-COVID pandemic, and available to deliver remote services in the interim. Diverse candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Master’s degree in reading, curriculum or another education-related field. A specialist credential is preferred especially if you are applying to work with grades 6-12.
- At least five years of successful ELA teaching experience is required within the grade bands for which you are applying to work.
- Two or more years as an ELA coach/consultant, providing professional learning services to teachers and administrators, across multiple schools within a district or a region.
- Strong foundational knowledge in evidence-based reading/ELA instruction and research on teaching reading/language arts or ELA at the elementary and/or secondary level.
- In-depth knowledge of the Common Core State Standards and/or other state standards for English Language Arts.
- Knowledgeable about effective skills and strategies for diverse learners, special education students, and non-native English speakers.
- A history of educational work centered on equitable outcomes for students most underserved by our educational system; an understanding of the concepts and impact of institutional and structural racism and bias and their impact on underserved and underrepresented communities.
- Demonstrated ability to conduct and facilitate effective presentations, both in-person and virtually, which include responsiveness, flexibility, and the ability to exercise good judgment. Ability to communicate effectively with diverse audiences.
- Experience, and high degree of comfort, with facilitating using remote synchronous learning platforms such as Zoom.
- Demonstrated knowledge of a wide range of programs and publisher materials, including reading intervention programs and reading/ELA assessments, particularly CBM assessments, is preferred.
- Experience in a variety of school settings serving diverse populations is preferred.
- Able and willing to travel, including to remote locations, when travel conditions are safe.
- Knowledgeable in Microsoft suite of products and internet resources is a plus.
Compensation & Benefits
CORE ELA Consultants are compensated on a per diem basis for each assignment. This is an independent contractor/1099 role, and no benefits are provided.
If you would like to apply, please complete the form below and submit a letter of interest and resume.